FREE WHEELCHAIR MISSION
2014/2015 PW Synod Mission Project
Free Wheelchair Mission is a humanitarian, faith-based, nonprofit organization that provides wheelchairs at no cost to people with disabilities living in developing nations. In collaboration with a network of like-minded partners, FWM has sent more than 781,000 wheelchairs to people in 91 countries, providing dignity, independence and hope through the gift of mobility.
Our Mission is to provide the transforming gift of mobility to the physically disabled poor in developing countries as motivated by Jesus Christ.
Our Vision is to be a world-class provider of mobility, transforming the lives of 100,000 people with disabilities in 2014.
With an estimated 100 million people around the world today in need of a wheelchair without the means to get one, FWM strives to distribute over 100,000 chairs annually, and continues to pursue our goal to distribute 1 million chairs by the year 2016. Free Wheelchair Mission continues its focus and commitment on becoming a leading provider of mobility in developing nations, but beyond placing recipients in a chair, FWM is bringing transformation that opens doors to education, employment opportunities and community that these individuals only dreamed of before receiving the gift of mobility.
Witness and act for an end to violence against women and girls
On the 25th of each month – join people around the world in observing an Orange Day to work for an end to violence against women and girls. This call comes from Say NO – UNiTE to End Violence against Women, a social mobilization platform on ending violence against women and girls that is related to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon’s campaign, UNiTE to End Violence against Women.
Pray and Worship
- Pray for guidance for all those who work to end violence against women. Pray that all people turn from violence.
- Opposing violence against women – a prayer by the Rev. Sarah Henkel
- Teaching elders can preach on the issue of ending violence against women and girls. Check out this sermon by the Rev. Jeffrey Geary of the White Plains Presbyterian Church.
- Take part in the Stop Rape Now campaign to stop the use of rape in war.
- Plan to observe Domestic Violence Awareness Month in October. The Presbyterians Against Domestic Violence Network provides ideas and liturgical resources.
- Wear orange. Tell those you meet why you are wearing orange. Take pictures and share them on social media with an explanation of why you are wearing orange.
- Join Presbyterians Against Domestic Violence.
- Create a group in your worshiping community, mid-council, school or other location to work to end violence against women and girls.
- Sign the global call for action to tell governments around the world that you want them to make ending violence against women and girls a top priority.
- Ask 3 people you know to sign the call to action.
- Join SayNO – UNiTE to End Violence Against Women on Facebook and share why you think ending violence against women and girls should be a priority for decision makers around the world.
Connect with other Presbyterians
Learn what others are doing and use your imagination
Posted in News, Presbyterian Women, Presbyterian World Mission, Uncategorized
Tagged Ministry, Northumberland Presbytery, Orange Ribbon, Presbyterian Church USA, Presbyterian Women, PW Mission, Wear Orange, Women
Click below for the call to the 2015 Presbyterian Women Churchwide Gathering:
Posted in Important Dates, Presbyterian Women, Uncategorized
Tagged Activities, Church Events, Clergy, Conference, Lay Leaders, Ministry, Northumberland Presbytery, Presbyterian Church USA, Presbyterian Women, retreats, Women
Save the date: June 18-21, 2015 Churchwide Gathering of Presbyterian Women
Click on the photo to see the excitement from the 2012 Churchwide Gathering in Orlando Florida.
June 14-21, 2014 ~ 221st General Assembly in Detroit Michigan
June 19 – 21, 2014 ~ Presbyterian Women of the Synod of the Trinity will hold the PW Synod Gathering at Waynesburg, PA. The Theme for 2014 is “Hope In Bloom” based on Jeremiah 29:11. Watch your email for more information
Mark your calendars now!
Posted in Church Events, Presbyterian Women, Uncategorized
Tagged Activities, Church Events, Clergy, Conference, Lay Leaders, Northumberland Presbytery, Presbyterian Church USA, Presbyterian Women, Women
Presbyterian Women (PW) is the national women’s organization of the Presbyterian Church (USA). With a history of more than 200 years, PW is committed to nurturing faith, supporting the church’s mission, working for justice and building community. More than 300,000 women live out these commitments through Presbyterian Women in exciting, growth – inspiring ways. PW is organized at all levels of the Presbyterian Church (USA), in congregations, presbyteries and synods as well as the General Assembly.
2013 Coordinating Team of The Presbyterian Women
Moderator Team: Laura Smith
Spiritual Coordinator: Joanna Miller
Leadership and Resources: Martha Manning
Secretary / Newsletter: Patty Beggs
Contingent Treasurer: Ruth Browse
Mission Treasurer / Together in Service: Carrol Morehart
Leaders – at – large: Frances Hall (Grace Presbyterian Church / Montgomery), Jean Shoup (Montoursville Presbyterian Church)